6 May 2022

Arrivals from Ukraine - Claiming Child Benefit

HMRC have issued the following message about claiming child benefit for people arriving in the UK from Ukraine:

Arrivals from Ukraine: Guidance for claiming Child Benefit

Anyone coming to the UK under the ‘Ukraine Family Support’ or ‘Homes for Ukraine’ scheme is entitled to claim Child Benefit immediately – rather than having to wait for the usual 3 month qualifying period. People should complete a CH2 Child Benefit claim form and submit this by post to the Child Benefit office. The address is on the form – which can be found on GOV.UK by searching ‘CH2 Child Benefit claim form’ 

Claimants should provide an original birth certificate and the passport or travel document used to enter the UK. Where this documentation is not immediately available, people are advised to include a note in their claim and someone from HMRC will be in touch to discuss further. Anyone wanting more information on Child Benefit can visit GOV.UK and search ‘Claim Child Benefit’ or call 0300 200 3100 (from inside the UK).