13 April 2022

Child Benefit - people arriving from Ukraine

HMRC have published the following message about claiming child benefit:

'Arrivals from Ukraine: Guidance for claiming Child Benefit

Anyone coming to the UK under the ‘Ukraine Family Support’ or ‘Homes for Ukraine’ scheme is entitled to claim Child Benefit immediately – rather than having to wait for the usual three-month qualifying period. People should complete a CH2 Child Benefit claim form and submit this by post to the Child Benefit office, the address of which can be found on the form.

Claimants should provide an original birth certificate and the passport or travel document used to enter the UK. Where this documentation is not immediately available, people are advised to include a note in their claim and someone from HMRC will be in touch to discuss further. You can find more information on Child Benefit on GOV.UK or call 0300 200 3100 (from inside the UK).'

Information about other support available for people arriving from Ukraine has been published by DWP on the Understanding UC website 

The cross-government 'Welcome pack' includes other information which may be helpful and is available in Ukrainian and English, published on the GOV.UK website.