8 July 2019
Tax credit renewals deadline 31 July 2019
The tax credit annual renewal period is underway. Anyone who has claimed tax credits during the 2018/2019 tax year who has not already finalised their claim due to a move to universal credit, should have received their tax credit renewal pack by 21 June 2019.
Anyone expecting a renewal pack who hasn’t yet received it should contact HMRC straightaway.
Claimants who receive a reply-required renewal pack – with a red line across the first page and an instruction to ‘reply now’ - must complete their renewal declaration by 31 July 2019, otherwise their payments will stop. If actual income is not known, then an estimate must be given by 31 July 2019 with the actual income confirmed by 31 January 2020.
Claimants who receive an auto-renewal pack – which shows the instruction to ‘check now’ - only need to contact HMRC if they have changes or corrections to report.
Help and information on renewing tax credits is available from HMRC:
- On GOV.UK at https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/tax-credits;
- By tweeting @HMRCcustomers or posting on HMRC’s Facebook page with general queries;
- Using HMRC’s App, which is available on the App Store or Google Play Store;
- Using HMRC’s online forum (click on Tax Credits and You);
- Through HMRC’s webchat help service; or
- By calling the tax credits helpline: 0345 300 3900
Tax Credit renewals can be completed either:
- On-line, via the GOV.UK website
- Using the HMRC App
- Calling HMRC’s tax credits helpline (0345 300 3900 : textphone 0345 300 3909)
- By post to:
Tax Credit Office
HM Revenue and Customs
- Next entry: Universal Credit managed migration pilot
- Previous entry: Universal Credit, tax credit and child benefit payments over Easter