National Minimum Wage: Rates over the years
National Minimum Wage
National minimum wage rates are updated every October.
NB - the rates are dependent upon age, with a special rate for apprentices.
The current rates from 1 October 2016 are:
- 16-17 year olds - £4.00 an hour (13p increase)
- 18-20 year olds - £5.55 an hour (25p increase)
- Age 21 and over - £6.95 an hour (25p increase)
- Apprentice rate (for ages 16,17 or 18 and 19 and over in the first 12 months of their apprenticeship) - £3.40 an hour (10p increase).
- the accommodation offset - £6.00 (65p increase)
For the rates of earlier years back to 1999 go to the Low Pay Commission website.
National Living Wage
The national living wage rates are updated every April.
The current rate from 1 April 2016 for those ages 25 and over is £7.20 an hour
Updated 3 October 2016
Last reviewed 3 October 2016