Self-employment: Companies

Where a person or persons carry on a trade or property business through the medium of a company, they are treated as the sole owner of or a partner in the trade or business for UC purposes. For tax purposes, companies are subject to specific rules and pay corporation tax which is a different system to the HMRC cash basis outlined above for the self-employed.  The following consequences apply, except where the person is working for an IR35 type intermediary company or managed service company (ITEPA 2003, Part 2, Chapters 8 and 9):

ADM Chapter H4360

Updated 26 February 2015