Tax Credits: Other Government research and reports
In addition to reports published by HMRC, other parts of the Government have also produced reports about the tax credits system.
- Public Accounts Committee Reports
- Public Administration Select Committee
- HM Courts and Tribunal Services
- National Audit Office
The Public Accounts Committee has produced several reports on the tax credits system.
- HMRC’s contract with Concentrix
- Accountability to Parliament for taxpayers’ money (May 2016)
- Fraud & Error stocktake: October 2015
- HMRC performance 2014-2015
- Tax credits fraud and error: 2013/2014
- 2009/2010 (2)
- 2009/2010 - Government response
- 2008/2009 - Government response
- 2007/2008 - Government response
- 2006/2007 - Government response
- 2005/2006 - Government response
- 2005/2006 (2) - Government response
- 2003/2004 - Government response
The Public Administration Select Committee has produced two reports in relation to the ‘Tax Credits – Putting it right’ report from the Ombudsman:
- Annual report under Section 40 of the Tax Credits Act 2002 (Feb 2011): Annual report to the Treasury on Tax Credits under Section 40 of the Tax Credits Act 2002. This report contains details of the number of awards of each tax credit made in the year, the number of enquiries conducted under section 19, the number of penalties imposed; and the number of prosecutions and convictions for offences connected with tax credits.
- Annual review of certain tax credit monetary amounts under Section 41 of the Tax Credits Act 2002 (Feb 2011): Annual review of certain tax credit monetary amounts to see whether they have retained their value in relation to prices. The review covers the income thresholds at which each tax credit will start to be withdrawn (including the family element of CTC), any thresholds relating to changes in income between the current tax year and the previous tax year; and the amounts for the various elements of WTC and CTC.
- NAO Report – HM Revenue and Customs Annual Report and Accounts 2016-17
Investigation into HMRC’s contract with Concentrix
- HMRC Annual Report and Accounts 2015-16
- Fraud and Error stocktake (July 2015)
- HMRC 2014-15 accounts (July 2015)
- HMRC - A short guide (September 2015)
- National Audit Office Report – HMRC 2013-14 accounts
- Managing debt owed to central Government (December 2013). See also this commentary on the report from the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group.
- Tackling Tax Credits Error & Fraud
- Press release: Tackling tax Credits Error & fraud
- HMRC Progress on reducing costs
- HMRC Customer Service Performance
- Press Release: HMRC Customer Service Performance
NB - the National Audit Office website is available at https://www.nao.org.uk
- ‘Working Tax Credit and labour supply’: Treasury working paper report (2008)
- House of Commons research (December 2001) This research report sets out the main points of the Tax Credit Bill (as introduced to Parliament in November 2001) and explains how the system will operate.
- HMRC error and fraud strategy (October 2010)
Last reviewed/updated 28 April 2017