Universal credit: What is income for UC?

Income for Universal Credit purposes will be treated as earned income or unearned income. If it is not specifically included as either of these then it will be disregarded.

The importance of determining whether income is earned or unearned can be seen in the calculation of UC entitlement. Earned income is subject to a 63% taper whereas unearned income reduces UC maximum entitlement pound for pound.

Earned income 

Earned income for UC is defined as:

1.  The remuneration or profits derived from -

a.  Employment under a contract of service or in an office (including elective office)
b.  A trade, profession or vocation (self-employed earnings)
c.  Any other paid work

2.  Any income treated as earned income for the purposes of UC

It also includes surplus earnings.

Notional earned income

The regulations also include provision for ‘notional earned income’ – this is where a claimant has deprived themselves of earned income, or whose employer has arranged for them to be deprived, for the purposes of securing entitlement to UC or an increased amount of UC. Where this is the case, the person will be treated as having the earned income.

It will be treated as being for the purposes of securing or increasing entitlement to UC if in fact, entitlement was given or higher as a result and this was a foreseeable and intended consequence of the deprivation – in the opinion of the Secretary of State.

Similar notional income rules apply in relation to services provided where no payment is received – the UC claimant can be treated as having the earned income that be reasonable for the provision of the service.

Employed earnings

The general rule is that earned income for an assessment period should be based on the actual amount received in that period. There are some exceptions to this general rules that are explained in ADM Chapter H3.

For many employees, DWP will receive these employed earnings figures directly from the HMRC RTI (Real Time Information) system. We have a dedicated RTI section which explains how RTI data feeds into UC and how it is used by DWP.

Employed earnings are defined as any amounts that HMRC treat as ‘general earnings’  (as defined in Section 7(3) ITEPA 2003) leaving out any amounts treated as earnings under the benefits code (Chapters 2 to 11, Part 3 ITEPA 2003) and amounts exempt from income tax  under Part 4 ITEPA 2003 (such as approved mileage allowance reliefs, work-related training, no-cash vouchers etc….).

General earnings includes wages, salary and fees. It also includes payments of statutory sick pay, statutory maternity pay, ordinary statutory paternity pay, additional statutory paternity pay and statutory adoption pay. Some other payments are also included as employed earnings, a full list of these can be found in Paragraph H3072 (ADM Chapter H3).

As noted above, certain amounts are also excluded from being employed earnings. In the early stages of UC, benefits in kind (which HMRC would normally treat as earnings) will NOT be treated as income for UC purposes. A full list of benefits in kind not yet treated as earnings can be found in Paragraph H3081 (ADM Chapter H3).

Deductible expenses under Chapter 2, Part 5 of ITEPA 2003 are disregarded in calculating employed earnings. This ensures any allowable expenses reimbursed by an employer are not taken into account as income.

It is also possible for claimants to deduct any allowable work expenses they incur, which are not reimbursed by their employer, from their earned income. This will reduce their income for UC purposes.

Deductions from employed earnings

UC is generally based on net income and therefore from the claimant’s employed earnings can be deducted:

Full details of employed earnings can be found in ADM Chapter H3.

Self-employed earnings

Self-employed earnings are those which derive from a trade, profession or vocation. The claimant does not need to be classed as ‘gainfully self-employed’ for such earnings to be taken into account. We explain self-employed earnings in more detail in the self-employment section.

Unearned income

Unearned income broadly includes the following types of income:

Further detail about what counts under each heading can be found in ADM Chapter H5. Student income detail can be found in ADM Chapter H6.

Reporting income

Employed earnings

Generally employed earnings will be reported to DWP by HMRC under the Real Time Information (RTI) system.

The general rule is that where a claimant is, or has been, engaged in an employment in respect of which their employer is a ‘real time information employer’:

However this general rule does not apply:

Where any of these exceptions apply, DWP must make a decision as to the amount of the person’s employed earnings for the assessment period in accordance with the UC regulations using such information or evidence as the DWP thinks necessary.

When this is done, DWP can treat a payment of employed earnings received by the person in one assessment period as received in a later assessment period. This might happen where DWP have received the information in that later period or would, if RTI had worked correctly, have expected to receive information from HMRC in that later period.

If the same earnings are then notified at another point by HMRC after they have already been taken into account due to the operation of these exceptions, the regulations allow DWP to ignore the HMRC information.

It is not yet clear how this will work in practice, particularly in relation to the exceptions.

Self-employed earnings

Self-employed claimants will be required to submit details about their earnings each month using an online system. More information about this can be found in our self-employed section.

Surplus earnings

Rules from 11 April 2018 that mean some claimants - both employed and self-employed - will be treated as having additional earned income known as 'surplus earnings'.

See our surplus earnings and losses page for more information.

Last reviewed/updated 15 May 2019