Tax Credits: How to notify changes

Changes can be reported to HMRC in three ways:


HMRC’s digital channel allows claimants to check claim information, their tax credit payments, renew their tax credits (up to 31 July) and also report most changes of circumstance on-line, including adding a child, change of name, change of address, change of job, change to income, changes to childcare arrangements and costs, any disability changes, hospital admissions and people going abroad. We understand the tax credits digital service does not yet cover changes to bank account details.

The service allows a single claimant to notify HMRC that they have a new partner but importantly this does not add the new partner to the claim - it will simply end the single claim. 

For claimants reporting a change of household from joint to single, this change can also be done online. 

In both cases, HMRC state that it is no longer possible for anyone to make a brand new claim for tax credits and so ongoing support will only be available via universal credit (or pension credit).

The tax credit online digital service can be found on the GOV.UK website, either directly via the ‘Manage your tax credits’ service or via the personal tax account and selecting the tax credits option. For security, claimants need to set-up a Government Gateway account, or use their existing Government Gateway account if they have one for example if they already submit self-assessment on-line. Claimants also need to have a mobile phone or landline telephone (or have access to one) so that they can receive a unique 6 digit access code which is sent to them each time they log in to the online digital service via the GOV.UK website. Claimants access the online digital service using their Government Gateway ID and passcode and their National Insurance number.

HMRC also offer their digital service via their HMRC app, which is free and operates on android and apple devices. Information about HMRC’s app is available on the GOV.UK website. HMRC have produced a Youtube video showing how to make use of the HMRC app.

Not all changes can be reported using the digital channels but HMRC update the service regularly and new features and improvements are frequently added.


The main telephone number is the HMRC's tax credit helpline: 0345 300 3900 (NGT text relay: dial 18001 then 0345 300 3900)). From abroad, you can ring +44 2890 538 192.

 In writing:

Change of circumstances
HMRC - Tax Credit Office
United Kingdom

Note: there is a different postal address for HMRC for items sent by courier


Given the potential consequences of overpayments and penalties if changes are reported late, it is crucial that records are kept when changes are reported.

For calls to the helpline, it is recommended that claimants record the date, time, operator name and brief details of the call.

For letters sent to HMRC's about tax credit it is recommended that a copy of each letter is kept and that it is sent recorded delivery (requiring a signature) as a minimum. At the very least a proof of posting should be obtained. Claimants should also ensure they check each award notice carefully to ensure the latest change has been recorded. If it hasn’t they must inform HMRC within 30 days that their award notice is incorrect.

Where claimants notify changes on-line, they should receive an acknowledgement as they complete the on-line submission and we recommend printing a copy of this acknowledgement and subsequently checking their award and payments following the change.

Additional information about changes of circumstances

The HMRC tax credit technical manual contains a section about changes of circumstances. Specifically for information about:

HMRC have confirmed that where a claimant is notifying HMRC that a young person who appears on their claims for both child tax credit and child benefit is either staying on or leaving full-time non-advanced education or approved training, the notification to either the tax credit helpline or the child benefit helpline will be updated on both child benefit and tax credit records. However, as this is just an internal administrative arrangement, claimants should not rely on this option and must still check that their awards are correct and notify both child benefit office and tax credit office separately.

‘Tell us once’ – Bereavement service

Tell us once is a Government service which links up a notification of death across many different Government records so that the person notifying the death doesn’t have to notify each different area separately. There is information on the GOV.UK website which shows how ‘Tell us once’ works, which records it covers and where it is available

Last reviewed/updated 4 May 2023